Jul 19, 2011

Given Seal Villa move


Aston Villa have confirmed the signing of Shay Given from Manchester City after the goalkeeper signed a five-year contract.

Villa and new boss Alex McLeish have been looking for a replacement for Brad Friedel following the veteran’s move to Spurs.

Given quickly emerged as the prime target, due to the Republic of Ireland international’s limited opportunities at the Eastlands.

The 35 year-old has therefore been holding talks at Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground over the past few days and he could now make his debut against Walsall on Thursday.

A statement on the club’s official website read:”Aston Villa are delighted to confirm that Shay Given will be unveiled Tuesday as the club’s new goalkeeper, having agreed a five year deal til June 2016 ”

City signed Given for £7million from Newcastle in 2009.He is relishing his new career at Villa and is looking forward to a return to first-team football.

"Aston Villa is a huge football club and I'm really excited to be joining," he said.

"I'm looking forward to training and playing with the players here. They're a good bunch of lads, very talented and I know several of them already which will help.

"Everyone knows that I didn't play enough football last season, so I'm really pleased that I'll be able to put that right here. Hopefully, this move will get me back to where I was before in the Premier League, which is where every player wants to be playing."


0 comments:

Post a Comment