Sep 16, 2011

Lindegaard chafing for Manchester United spot





Goal keeper Anders Lindegaard has restated he is not at Manchester United to 'pick his nose' after enjoying his UEFA Champions League debut against Benfica.

The goalkeeper joined English champions from Aalesunds in the January transfer window and made two appearances in the FA Cup last season.

He has been providing the back-up to summer signing David de Gea in the Premier League so far this campaign, but was given a chance in Wednesday's game away to Benfica.

Lindegaard impressed in the 1-1 draw in the Stadium of light and is determined to push The Spaniard all the way to be Sir Alex Ferguson's first choice between the posts.

"I have said one thousand times before - I am not here to pick my nose," said Lindegaard.

"Although I came from a small team in Norway called Aalesunds, I am here because I want to play, not because I want to sit on the bench."

The Denmark international was beaten by Oscar Cardozo's first-half strike, but produced a couple of important saves in the second half.

He added: "I am satisfied with my own performance.

"I am a bit sad that I didn't save the first goal as I touched it with my fingertips. It would have been a great save, but apart from that I was satisfied with my performance.

"I had great fun and that is the most important part of why I play football. I enjoyed it very much and it was a great night.

"It is a great stadium to play in with a very loud audience. I could also hear our fans which was nice. This is why I came to United. To play in these kind of games."

0 comments:

Post a Comment