Sep 22, 2011

Owen happy to silence his critics




Michael Owen admits he gets as nervous ahead of his patchy appearances for Manchester United as he used to do before the biggest games of his entire career.

After 89 caps and appearances in three World Cups for his country, in addition to innumerable high-profile matches at club level, the 31-year-old should be above a few nerves.

However, he felt the nervousness ahead of Tuesday's Carling Cup win over Leeds, purely because of the pressure he was under to perform.

"I have had some massive games in my career but I almost feel myself getting more nervous these days," he said.

"I don't fear my touch will go because I am doing a lot of training and putting in a lot of hard work.

"But even the best players in the world can have a bad game and that negative thought is definitely there in the back of your mind because you cannot put things right in three or four days' time like most other players who play all the time.

"The pressure is on. Thankfully, every time I have started I have managed to quieten people before they chirp up."

Remarkably, Owen's two goals at Elland Road took his present run to 11 goals in 12 starts.
That record would be enough to assure him a place in most starting line-ups.

Yet at United, he can do no better than fourth or fifth-choice striker, depending upon his status and that of Dimitar Berbatov.

Indeed, that run began in October 2009, so occasionally has Owen been used by Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I get criticised by a lot by people who say I don't play but I pick my money up," he said.

"I am not proud of that fact. I don't want anybody to think that I am content by not playing.

"But I also appreciate there are some top players in the team and the squad so it is a challenge to get on the bench let alone the team."

Owen is certainly realistic about his difficulty, which gets no easier this weekend as, even as Javier Hernandez misses out through injury, youngster Danny Welbeck is back in contention after a hamstring complaint.

"I know my position in the squad - we have got some top strikers and it no slight on me in any way," said Owen.

"It is hard to say how you feel because you don't want to put across the wrong message.

"Obviously, I am not happy if I barely play but it is not me to go banging the gaffer's door down.

"It is a privilege to play for such a top team with top players. I have loved every moment."

0 comments:

Post a Comment