Aug 12, 2011

Masch confident in multiple roles










Barcelona midfielder Javier Mascherano reckons he would have no problem playing as a defender against rivals Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa.

The La Liga and European Champions are preparing to face the Copa del Rey winners in Sunday's match with several first-team defenders ruled out because of injury.

Gerard Pique sustained an injury during Spain's international friendly against Italy on Wednesday while Captain Carles Puyol is still recovering from knee surgery.

As a result, Barca manager Pep Guardiola could install Mascherano as an emergency centre-back - a role he effectively filled several times last season.

"I would prefer that all my teammates were available to play, but if I am picked I will try do it the same way I did last year," Mascherano said at a press conference.

"The advantage is that I already have experience in that position."

He added: "This is an important trophy and we want to win it because it will help us face the season with our confidence boosted."



Barca are short of renowned central defenders following the sale of Gabriel Milito to Independiente.

0 comments:

Post a Comment