Aug 26, 2011

Messi named Europe's Best Player

Lionel Messi with the UEFA Best Player Award

Barcelona star Lionel Messi has added another crown to his growing collection - he was voted the winner of UEFA's inaugural Best Player in Europe Award in Monaco.
Messi finished ahead of club team-mate Xavi Hernandez and Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo in a poll of sports journalists who represent each of the UEFA member associations.
Messi scored 53 goals last season and was presented the prize on Thursday night at the UEFA Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.
"I'd like to thank all the people that voted for me, and all my team-mates," Messi told UEFA.com
"I keep all these awards at home and I still have some space for more. It's an honour to be so successful and to come up with the goods at the right time; thanks to my team-mates for helping me achieve this.
"[My motivation] comes from being at a club that's so successful and having a structure that allows us to be so successful; that was taught to me when I moved over and I've tried my best to keep it up."
Messi scored 12 times in the UEFA Champions League last season to lead Barcelona to their third UEFA Champions League title in six years.

TOP TEN PLAYERS:
 
PLAYER NAME
CLUB
Lionel Messi
Barcelona
Xavi Hernandez
Barcelona
Cristiano Ronaldo
Real Madrid
Andres Iniesta
Barcelona
Radamel Falcao
Porto (now at Atletico Madrid)
Wayne Rooney
Manchester United
Nemanja Vidic
Manchester United
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
AC Milan
Gerard Pique
Barcelona
Manuel Neuer
Schalke (now at Bayern Munich)

0 comments:

Post a Comment